Monday, August 25, 2008

Thou Shalt Be On Time

HOROSCOPE: You're very often late--kick that habit before it kicks you.

Thanks, Poor Richard. You want me to invent a cast-iron stove while I'm at it?

Yes, I'm late.

I'm late a lot.

I have a big problem being punctual, but from now, no more!

ADAM: I'm proud of you.
ME: Thank you, Adam.
ADAM: You realize you were supposed to meet me fifteen minutes ago, right?
ME: DAMN!

As I raced to meet Adam, I wondered why I'm always behind the clock?

SHANE: It might be your ego. People who are always late tend to believe the world can wait for them.
ME: I never think that! If anything I'm mortified every time I'm late. I used to skip classes rather than be late in college.
SHANE: That's a little extreme.
ME: Well, it was usually Introduction to Computers, so it's not like I put up much of a fight.
SHANE: Babe, I don't care if you're late. It doesn't bother me.
ME: But it bothers me. You're right when you say it makes me look ego maniacal, not to mention insensitive. And I'm not insensitive at all!
SHANE: Shouldn't you be getting off the phone so you can get to Adam?
ME: Oh, he can wait.

I ended up only being about ten minutes late--Adam, as usual, was exaggerating. After the movie we went out to eat. Carly and Beth joined us.

CARLY: So do you just have no concept of time? I get like that sometimes when I'm making love. It seems like hours have gone by and it's been only a few minutes.
ADAM: You're hooking up with that guy Bad in Bed Bobby again, aren't you?
CARLY: It's called a dry spell, Adam. You try living through it.
ME: I have a concept of time. It's just...I'm scared of getting anywhere before people.
BETH: Why?
ME: Because--
BETH: Because they might not show up.
CARLY: You're not the one taking a chance.
ADAM: If you show up late, either they're there or they're not there, but the power was in your hands.
ME: Wow...a fear of rejection. Like when I would wait for my dad to pick me up and he wouldn't show.
CARLY: That's a bit of a stretch.
ME: It's okay. Anything I can blame my father for is fine with me.

So now I just have to get over my fear of rejection--not nearly as easy as making sure I'm on time. I came up with a new system for ensuring I'd be all right.

ME: So you're there now?
SHANE: Yes, I'm here. I'm right here.
ME: You're going to be there when I get there.
SHANE: Yup.
ME: You're not somewhere else and just saying you're there, right?
SHANE: No, and I'd also like to mention that only a crazy person would do that and I'm not crazy.
ME: No, but I am. I love you.
SHANE: I love you, too.

Sometimes a little support goes a long way to getting you where you need to be...on time.

No comments: