Thursday, September 20, 2007

Thou Shalt...Um...Explain

So I got a response to the last entry that I, in turn, responded to (I do that sometimes) because though this is a public forum where I should expect that people will, at times, respond to what I've written unfavorably, I also think of it as a two-way street, meaning I might have an unfavorable response to your unfavorable response--welcome to blogocracy.

Granted, I don't want to get into sniping matches with everyone who thinks I'm a tool. After all, who wants to argue with their family that much? (Ba dum bum.)

In this case, what I have to say isn't even unfavorable. It's just a response that I thought I should put in case any of you feel the same way the person responding to what I wrote did. The comment is under the last entry, and it has to do with perception and reality.

This was what I wrote back:

So, since I had way too much free time at work today, I looked up the perception-reality saying and found a colossal philosophical argument about whether perception is reality. I found this kind of ridiculous, since perception can only be one person's reality, but not necessarily (actually, almost definitively) objective reality. I don't try to achieve that with the blog I write. It's not me stating "This is what happened. Believe me. Side with me." It's just what I feel, what I think, what I experienced. That being said, I also try to be fair with what I write. I went back and read the entry, and I don't think that it's in any way bashing anyone. It's an entry about an argument between two people who used to be close. A person can read it and think whatever they want. I do know--from countless English papers--that readers tend to identify aka sympathize with the narrator, but I've had people take me on about stuff I've written before.

I guess the reason I was writing to you is to say that my goal with writing what I wrote wasn't to absolve myself or try to make myself look like a victim. When I write, I usually write to try and make sense of things since a lot of times with people (including myself) things can seem frustratingly illogical. In this case, it was more the situation than anything else.

I'm not sure you're going to bother reading this whole message, but after reading everything I did about perception, reality and delusion I guess I'd have to say what I wrote was probably a mix of all three, but it was also how I felt; it wasn't meant to be something catty or clever. I can't represent any side of any story but mine, and you know what they say about sides to a story...

Kevin

And that about does it.

2 comments:

Melina said...

Aw, Sweetie, I love your blog. Its funny, witty and campy. All the things I like in a blog. I check everyday to see if you've updated I have passed the link on to all my friends and have more than one of them hooked on it also.
I think you give a great incite to the straight mother/gay son relationship and I only wish I could be so witty as you to tell some of the conversations my son and I have had.
Keep it up. Please.

Anonymous said...

Comment... happy?